One pot dishes are very popular in our house as they are just so simple! What’s not to like about an easy recipe where you bung everything in one saucepan, leave it for a while and end up with something lovely and tasty? Because of this when I spotted a Slimming World recipe book titled ‘All in One’ I knew there would be some guaranteed recipes in there which would appeal to us.
This recipe is one of the first attempted from the book and it was really tasty. The flavours are a bit different and unusual, which was a nice outcome of a recipe which didn’t really didn’t require much input from the chef! Definitely an easy one for when you’re entertaining and want something that’s hearty and simple but is a little different flavour wise!
The recipe serves 4 and is syn free on Extra Easy (6 syns on green, 10 syns on original). Preparation time is 25 minutes, and cooking time is 15 minutes, plus standing time.
- Fry light
- 400g lean pork tenderloin, all visible fat removed, cut into thin strips
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 cm piece root ginger, peeled & finely grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 star anise
- 100g green beans, trimmed & halved
- 1 red pepper, deseeded & sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled & cut into 3 cm batons
- 225g dried long grain or basmati rice, rinsed & drained
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 450ml chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- a small handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Spray a heavy-based saucepan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat.
- Add the pork, onions, garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and star anise and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the green beans, red pepper, carrots, rice, soy sauce and stock. Season to taste and stir to mix well.
- Bring to the boil, cover tightly and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 12-15 minutes then remove the pan from the heat without removing the lid
5. Allow to stand, covered, for 12-15 minutes. Uncover the pan, fluff up the mixture with a fork, stir in the parsley and serve immediately.